Why I've decided to go bra-less

I know that in our society, women have been expected to wear certain things in order not to attract to much attention to herself.  It was inappropriate for a woman to go without a corset for a long time (I've heard the term "loose woman" may have come from women who didn't wear corsets, or wore them loose enough to do manual labor).  And now, we are expected to wear bras to keep them in place.  All these things we are expected to do because society says we have to or we will be deemed unfit, sloppy or slutty, are doing untold damage to our bodies.

Recently, I've read many, many articles stating that bras actually make sagging worse (here is one of many I have read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/11/women-bras-study-france-false-necessity_n_3062114.html).  One only has to compare my breasts to those of my 62 year old mother's bra-less breasts to know that there is definitely some truth to this research.  My breasts sag much, much more than hers.  She has gone without a bra for as long as I can remember, which is well over 30 years.  She says she can't remember when she quit wearing them full-time, but probably sometime in the 70's.  I've worn a bra most of my life, starting in my teens.  I'm only 36, yet her breasts have much more lift to them than mine do.  Research has shown that wearing a bra weakens the ligaments, muscles, connective tissue, etc around the breasts, so that they succumb to gravity much faster.  It's kind of like wearing a cast, you don't use the muscle, it weakens and atrophies so that when you get the cast off, you limb looks like a twig.  Not wearing a bra strengthens the ligaments and keeps them lifted longer.

Reason #2:  Many, many years ago, doctors told people that cigarettes did not contribute to lung cancer at all.  They encouraged people to smoke, stating that it was good for your health.  Years later, they started to say that there might be a link.  It wasn't until many years after that, that the doctors said "Yes, smoking can lead to lung cancer."
Many, many years ago, doctors said that bras were good for breasts and would reduce unsightly sagging.  Well, we've just found out that that isn't true at all, makes it worse.  They also said that there is absolutely, positively no connection between wearing a bra and breast cancer.  Hmm.... wait a minute, didn't we just hear that with the cigarettes?  The breasts, and chest area in general, including the underarms, are home to a very large, and very significant network of lymph glands.  The lymph glands are essential to the body in removing unwanted toxins, including cancer cells (which by the way, was recently revealed in another study, that everyone carries cancer cells many times in their lives without ever knowing it because their bodies usually can eliminate them).    Bras, especially underwire bras, put a lot of pressure on the lymph gland system.  Hmm... wait a minute, there might be a correlation.  Some doctors are venturing that there is indeed a link between breast cancer in bras.  (http://brafree.org/faq.html)  Why would we want to do something to our bodies that could cause cancer?  I don't anymore.

After going without a bra for almost a month now, I have an unexpected, but very pleasant side affect:  My breasts actually feel like they belong on my body.  Whereas before, they just felt like these things that were there, but separate from me.  Sure, I could feel them when they were touched, etc., but they really didn't feel like mine.  Now they do.  They feel like they belong there, they feel like they are a part of my system, my energy "flow".  It's really a very, very nice feeling.  I really don't think I will ever put a bra on again.  I've found that wearing a camisole underneath a shirt really helps, and most of the time, people don't notice that I'm not wearing a bra.

 Even if you think you could never go with out a bra, I challenge you to try it, just for a week (if you are large, you may notice soreness, but it will go away after a few days..  You are worth healthy breasts, no matter what society may say.


Comments