Adventures in digging holes for trees, finding critters, and other things

I never thought I would say this, but digging holes is hard.  40 of them.  That's how many we dug.  And by we, I should say Brandon.  He dug most of them, despite being ill and having to take frequent breaks, he still managed to dig almost all of them.  40 two-foot wide, two-foot-deep holes.  I was mostly there for encouragement, and "to look cute" as he put it.  But, our son and I filled in most of those holes.  We have 12 left.  Why fill them in before we plant?  Our trees are not coming until September, and they are only going to be about a foot tall.  But as noted in a previous post,  (as noted and pictured in a previous post - http://everythinglovelife.blogspot.com/2018/07/adventures-on-my-property.html ) there are so many rocks, and in the areas where there are no rocks, the soil is compacted and hard.  We had to use a spike bar to get through those holes.  But now that the digging is finished, filling them in is a breeze.  However, I do not recommend digging holes this way.  It would be far easier with machinery.  Unfortunately, we don't have any machinery, so by hand it is. 

The next question is, do I dig the extra 10 I need to dig in my nature circle now, or wait until we are closer to needing them?  We have to transplant several pinon trees out of the road and along the fence line.  They are small and would easily transplant using our 2-foot pipe irrigation system, but, we can't transplant until the fall when their growth period is over.   This tree is too big to transplant, but this is a beautiful showing of its new growth.


Also, what to do with all those rocks?  It turns out, those rocks are in very high demand in areas south and east of here, but none of those areas are within reasonable driving distance.  I posted an ad on both craigslist and Facebook and the responses came pouring in.  So many people so excited for such cheap, quality rock, until the realized just where I was located.  Then those excited people became very disappointed.  One even told me that if only they could figure a way to come get them, they would save thousands of dollars in landscaping costs.  I repeat, thousands!  We are only asking $10 a load!  However big the load ends up being is entirely up to the person coming to get them.  If they bring a semi truck and take them all in one load, fine.  $10.  But, I can't even get people around here to come get them for free!  And those who have taken them, haven't even put a dent in how many there are.  COME TAKE THEM!!! PLEASE!!!! I beg of you.  There are too many for us to use, we won't miss them I promise.

On another note, the wildflowers are taking over!  So exciting!




Did I mention critters?  We have all sorts of little critters out there.  Though I haven't seen any Horned Lizards (aka horny toads) lately, I know they are there.  But we have a variety of other critters.  Butterflies and bees galore.  As well as plenty of spiders.  Including this momma wolf spider I found today.  I am always amazed at how perfectly round their egg sacks.  Don't worry, no humans or spiders were harmed in the taking of this picture.
Butterflies and bees

Oh and clouds.  Never when we need them, they gather in the distance, taunting us, but never offer any shade until it is time for us to leave for the day.  But, the formations I have seen out there are nothing like the ones I see at home where we are surrounded completely by mountains.



Now, as I listen to the rain fall outside, I can't wait until the day I can sit on my own porch with a mug of tea or hot cocoa and watch it rain with no one else around but my family and nature.




Comments