Gratitude Challenge a year later

 


Last year, during my birthday month, I did an extreme gratitude challenge.  I didn't just focus on one gratitude each day. I ended up with over 300 by the end of the month because I did 1 the 1st day, 2 the 2nd day, 3 the 3rd day, etc. During that month, I felt a profound change in myself, I recovered from negativity faster, I was sick less, and others around me appeared happier.  I shared my gratitudes on my Facebook page.  Many people didn't think I could have that many different things to be grateful for, but each day, it got easier to find things to be grateful for, and I was able to find the positive in many negative experiences.  For example, the person I grew into as a result of my husband's illness was something I had a lot of gratitude for.

Well, after the month was over, I often forgot to practice gratitudes daily.  And, while practicing such an extreme challenge for a month did carry over for quite a while, about halfway through the year, my life was pretty much back to the way it was prior to the challenge.  With a few exceptions, I did have a more positive outlook on life in general.  When I would remember to focus on a gratitude, things would change again.  But, as soon as I forgot, things went back.

My takeaway from this is that gratitude is extremely powerful, it can change a person immensely, but it needs to be practiced on a regular basis.  I certainly don't think I need to go back to doing an extreme challenge, but I do need to take time every day to focus on a gratitude. 

I still highly recommend doing a gratitude challenge to everyone.  And I would recommend doing an extreme challenge, even for a week.  Because it really does make a positive difference in your life.  

Comments