Finding Creativity when it seems to be on hold

My husband challenged me to look back at the last few years and to find all the ways I've been creative when I thought my creativity was taking a hiatus.  I accepted his challenge.
For most of my teaching career, I was not given the advantage of having a set curriculum complete with books and materials, so I had to create my own custom lessons based on what I was trying to teach.  That is incredibly creative, but I had completely overlooked that, thinking that my busy, hectic teaching planning was getting in the way of my writing.
I also found creativity is in my part-time fudge making job.  I mean really, what isn't creative when it comes to candy making?
I also discovered that I actually enjoy cooking.  This all came about as a result of my pinterest obsession, but I finally discovered that I can make things that my husband will actually eat.  This takes a lot of creativity because he likes things with a lot of flavor and ias a result is a little particular about what does and doesn't go into a dish.  The majority of the food I made in the beginning of our marriage was only eaten by me, but usually, it was so awful it ended up in the trash.  My husband became the primary food preparer in our household after that.  So knowing that I can make food that not only tastes good to me, but that my husband enjoys too is a huge feat in creativity.
Also, raising a rambunctious boy in a one bedroom apartment takes an incredible amount of creativity and schedule planning, and trying to figure out how to have intimate moments with my husband without my son catching on. 
Although, it wasn't as obvious as writing, or painting, etc. would have been, I was able to find ways I had been creative when I thought it was gone. 
So, my challenge to you if you feel you are in a creative rut, is to look at all the aspects of your life and find ways that they are creative, because as my husband put it "The truly creative person would be able to look at their lives and see that creativity never went away, it was just redirected into other parts of your life."


Comments