Fascination

Today, as I was leaving Walmart, I approached a car parked in the red zone where no cars are supposed to be, ever.  But, someone was in the driver's seat.  And in the passenger seat was a little boy, maybe 3, but not much older.  His eyes were locked on me with a huge awestruck grin and complete fascination in his eyes.  As I got closer, he moved so that he was hanging out the open window and his grin just got wider.  And the fascination in his eyes grew.  I said hi to him as I walked by and he grinned even bigger.  I seriously don't know how is face didn't hurt as wide as his grin was.  I glanced back to see him turned and still watching me. 
I hadn't had such a thing happen quite like that in a very long time.  There was a time in my life when this always happened.  Babies and toddlers would just stare at me with complete fascination.  And if I interacted with them, their faces lit up like the greatest thing in the world just happened to them.  It always brightened my day too.
But, then, I guess I got lost somehow and out of touch with myself and the things that made babies and toddlers light up like that.  I got busy, I got stressed, and I got tunnel vision.  I recently realized that I needed to get back to me.  Away from the stress and the crazy busy constant go go go.  Yeah, I know I'm going to be busy, I know my life is crazy busy at times.  But there's no reason I have to stress about it.  It is what it is. 
Kids are extremely perceptive, especially the young ones, the babies and the toddlers.  They don't want to be around someone who is stressed and too busy to acknowledge the magic in their eyes.  Today was a reminder of that.  When I left Walmart, even though it was busy, and you could hardly walk through there, I wasn't stressed.  I was happy, carefree, and I noticed the light in the little boy's eyes.  And it was enough for him that someone noticed. 
So, for those of you running around stressed all the time.  Stop, take notice of those around you.  Notice if there are any children.  See how they respond to you.  I think if you take the time to acknowledge them, and let go of your stress, you will see that their responses to you will change. 

Comments