The power music has over me

Many years ago, as I was struggling with a few mental issues regarding reality in middle school, Duran Duran's song, "Ordinary World," came on the radio, and I realized I had to pull myself out of my daydream world and start facing the world around me.  I was doing the things I was doing as an escape from the torment that is middle school, but it was unhealthy, and I realized after listening to that song, that I needed to get a grip on reality before I slipped away.  So, I did.

Years later, when I was struggling to get over an ex, Collective Soul's song, "Shine," came on MTV.  I had heard it many times before that (it had been released more than a year before this), but this time, it really resonated with me.  I realized that I had an inner divine light that was not contingent on having a boyfriend.  I could stand on my own.  In that instant, I was over him, and I no longer "needed" him.  Though we dated one more time after that, I was able to walk away when it was over, without ever looking back. 

Flash forward to 2013.  I heard quite a few songs that began a chain of changes within me.  I bought those songs, listened to them over and over again.  I took the meaning of these song and internalized them.  I realized then that the songs that resonated with me, that really moved me, could bring me to tears, had direct correlation to the issues I was dealing with at the time, and those songs gave me the strength to face those issues.

Now, whenever I hear a song that resonates with me like that, I stop, and really listen.  Why?  What is it that my subconscious is trying to tell me?  I may not get the answer right away, not until I listen to the song over and over.  But eventually I do, and I really focus on what it is I need to change or pay attention to, until the song no longer has that hold on me.

All of those songs have a very special place in my heart, and I still listen to them, but once I have worked through whatever it is I need to work on, they don't have the strange, hypnotizing power they once had.  That is when I know I have accomplished what I needed to do.

This blog goes out to my very dear friends Mandy Buchanan and Yvonne Perea, who together with the rest of their band from Honeyhouse, who have written more than one song that has had this hold on me, and given me the courage to do what I need to do.  My dear ladies, I am no longer afraid of the dark, and I am conquering the world.

Comments

  1. People who don't like music have a missing piece (and often, a missing peace).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment